The coming back
It's
been a month now since I returned back to Alexandria from India , the reverse
culture shock has begun to wear off. For the first few weeks in Alexandria I felt I'm still in New Delhi, it was like I'm
going to see India Gate at the corner, and every time it gets cloudy I regret I
didn't get my umbrella, then I remember that it doesn't rain in September in
Alexandria.
Leaving
New Delhi was not easy, I remember 2 days before my departure I went to Dunkin
Donuts a place where I spent a lot of time specially in the last days, I
remember the waiter opening the door for me and saying:"Good morning Ms.
Manar", I ordered, went to the bathroom and broke into tears.
I
came back to Alexandria after giving away all my old clothes, and loosing 200$
for extra weight, money I was intending to save for my first few weeks in
Alexandria without a job and a little as a start for my next flight to
anywhere.
What
made it worse is that my phone was stolen 2 days after I came back to
Alexandria.
So,
no money, no job, not enough cloth and no phone, I'm again dependent on my
family.
So
most of the time I'm feeling like the horse we see often in our Egyptian
streets with the bag around his head, I'm being fed, not even the effort of
bowing your head to get your own food.
Where is my Alexandria?
I
came back and I didn't recognize my city, as if someone set us up in a blind
date. It was changed, everything, even the sea wasn't the same. I felt like a
stranger, an outsider, my steps didn't know the roads. I forced myself going
more often to gather my shattered soul from the streets, and one day…………….
The rediscovering
Alexandria
was shining in the sun like a golden coin, everything started to come back to
me, like pieces of a dream I once had but then forgot about.
I
felt like I'm seeing everything for the first time.
I'm
rediscovering not only my city, but also New Delhi, the city I lived in for 3
month and a half. I'm rediscovering myself, putting myself back together
through writing and sharing stories from my 2 favorite cities Alexandria and New
Delhi.
Yet
to be continued…………

Congratulations
ReplyDeleteDear Manar:
ReplyDeleteI think I understand what you say.
It can be tough to go back to the home base of your world again.
It took some time for me to see the colors I love from Mexico again after coming back from India, too. Now I feel good at home again too :)
I'm glad you are back on track and sharing stories. Sharing stories is the best :)
Warmth,
Chuy
Thanks Yasser, waiting to hear from you more in the future. Chuy, yes you must know what I mean, specially after meeting a lovely person as you in a mystic country like India it's hard to give it up, let's hope we can meet again soon, waiting for you in Egypt.
ReplyDelete